Sunday, July 18, 2010

Baptism- Emily T.

Today was a weird day for me. When I first woke up, I wasn't excited. I was thinking, "Oh, well today JR is going to dunk me and it's all good." Then when we were on the bus on our way to Capernaum it hit me. When Father Andrew stated that we were having the baptism service afterwards I realized that the event I had been waiting for for six months had finally arrived.


I was asked by Bishop Rickel to read the gospel according to Matthew. It was I think the first reading of the Bible that I didn't mess up and that I felt empowered to read. People surrounded me, watching me read. Then my new Godmother Irene presented me. That was the point where I started crying (which was embarrassing). Then Bishop Rickel lead me down to the beach of Galilee and I was followed by people singing "Wade in the Water." We got out to the sea and I was standing between JR and the priest from Newfoundland who kindly offered his hand for balance from the rocky bottom. JR then grabbed my face and dunked me in the water while people made a circle holding hands. When I came up the first time I could hear people laughing which was probably because I was gasping for air. When I came up from the third time, I was greeted as a new child of God by cheers and applause. I was then anointed with the oil by the bishop. I will smell like a baby for probably a week. When the spreading of the peace was happening, I was tackled by most of my group and that when I started crying again. The joy and support that I received from my group really made me feel like I was part of a community. This was the first time throughout the trip I felt empowered by God's love. One of the best parts was when I got to spray (or splash) people to renew their baptismal vows. This overall was the most empowering day that I've had on this pilgrimage. I feel that the reason why I came on this pilgrimage is to understand Christ who I was drawn to and to become an official participant of the faith and now I have fulfilled that purpose.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

This was one of the most moving Baptisms that I have ever seen. The video made me cry (of course I always cry at Baptisms anyway). Welcome to the Body of Christ, my sister Emily! How fortunate you were to have this important experience in the Holy Land. Love, Mary Gates