Sunday, July 20, 2008

Yad Vashem - by Flora

After lunch today we all went to visit Yad Vashem, which is the Holocaust museum in Jerusalem. Though out my years in school I’ve learned a lot about the Holocaust but nothing even came near to what I learned about and felt while walking through that museum today. I vividly remember pictures of people hanging from gallows, of those whom are literally skin and bones, and also one of a child holding his hands up ready to be shot with a face full of fear. Walking through I felt like I was going to be sick and ready to cry, the fact that anyone could ever do such things is completely unfathomable. These people were just like you and me; they played sports, hung out with friends, spent time with family, and yet were discriminated against to the point where 11,000,000 of them died, 6,000,000 of that number were Jewish. Going to Yad Vashem was an eye opening experience and certainly one that I will never forget, it really made an impact, and it was truly horrifying to see what people are capable of.

1 comment:

Missy said...

Thank you Flora for an interesting reflection on what must have been a very challenging day. We can never forget or deny, though many try to make us.
We continue to pray for you and the group. Missy Couch