Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Wednesday Morning- Alex

Staying with the Rawashdeh family was one of the best experiences I have ever had. From the first moment I stepped into their house, I felt so incredibly welcomed. Living in the States doesn't really give you the opportunity to experience the immeasurable warmth that was shown to me throughout my stay. I learned so many things, including many (okay, like 6) Arabic words that I will never be able to spell.

Every meal was an adventure, I tried to completely open my mind and try everything that they set before me, which worked for pretty much everything, except I declined the cherry tomatoes and the olives. BUT, I had cornflakes with hot milk for breakfast every day, along with pizza, or hard-boiled eggs, or hummus and pita bread with zataar. It's safe to say that I have developed a taste for Palestinian food.

There was no water yesterday at all. We were hoping that it would be back on by the time we got back from exploring Northern Jerusalem, but it wasn't. Which was not very welcome information when we returned to the house, dripping sweat and completely exhausted. But it all worked out, because my host sister's older sister and father took me to my host mother's village, Eluaboin, where I met many relatives whose names I will never be able to pronounce. We sat in the living room (after I showered!!! By the way, when you get out of the shower, you say 'Naiman'. I don't know why. But they told me to.) and watched one of the cousins' video about her kindergarten classes graduation. She's a kindergarten teacher, and her kids were absolutely adorable. Overall, it was quite possibly the raddest thing ever. My host family presented me with a t-shirt covered in sequins, and we kissed on both cheeks in farewell. My host sister Rema and I are already connected online thanks to Facebook and MSN Messenger, and Papa says that next summer she is coming to visit me!!!

Now on to Jerusalem :)
peace and love,
Alex.

No comments: