Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Wednesday - Daniel

Today was our first full day in Nazareth. It was very hot. We first climbed Mt. Tabor. Some people said that it was harder than Masada, and some said it was easier. I personally thought it was easier. We've climbed a ton of mountains while in Israel! Oh well, it was tons of fun, and great exercise. My friend Hanna and I ran up the mountain for a little bit, and down also. Down was a bad idea because now my shins hurt really bad.
After Mt. Tabor, we visited many churches and shops. The churches were all very elegant and had fascinating architectural designs. The first church was a simple chapel at Nain, where Jesus is said to have raised a widow's son from the dead. It was a small church in a Muslim village, so a villager had to open it for us.

After Nain, we visited Cana. There, the stone water jar similar to the one in which Jesus turned water into wine stood. So, Kate suggested that I put my water bottle on it to see if it would turn to wine. She also took my picture. Unfortunately, the water was the same and had not turned to wine. Oh well, it was worth a try!

After Cana, we visited the Greek Orthodox church over the well where the Orthodox believe that the angel told Mary that she would have Jesus. After that, the group went into the Basilica of the Annunciation. However, JR, Robyn and I were wearing shorts too short to be allowed in.
Robyn didn't want to go in because she had already been there before with her host family. JR and I didn't go in because our shorts were too short, but were too hot and not comfortable with covering up in a shawl. Otherwise, it would look like we were wearing skirts.
I can't believe that we only have one more week here in Israel. It's gone by so fast, yet it also seems like we've been here forever! I love it here and don't want to leave. - Daniel






No comments: