Monday, July 28, 2008

Not a Happy Ending

I am very saddened to write that our trip has ended on a very sad note.

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1006341.html

There was a shooting at the beach across from our hotel this afternoon. Apparently, the shooter intended to kill a person with a known criminal record. Unfortunately, he hit a woman dining nearby. And more unfortunately, six of our young people where in the immediate vicinity of the shooting. Four of these were apparently right next to the woman who was shot.

As chaperons, Kate and I immediately found all of our group. Robyn and Alex, who had been inside the hotel, looked after the rest of the group until we had all of us collected into one room. People called parents, and we sat with each other as we began to process what had happened.

After awhile, we went out to dinner. People were somewhat fearful of going out of the hotel. We had a group reservation at a nearby restaurant (two doors down). We felt it important to eat there. One- people needed decent food in their stomachs. Two- the group needed to see that the life on the street and beach were returning to normal.

At dinner, Flora asked me if I would do this trip again given what happened this afternoon. I told her yes. Such violence is a part of any city. Similar criminal shootings happen in Seattle, too. As Kate pointed out, this could have happened on Alki.

However, I think that everyone will be glad to head home tomorrow. This was not how we wanted to end this journey. But I am thankful that we are all safe and sound. I ask your prayers for our safe travel, and for the family of the young woman who lost her life today.

2 comments:

Josh Hosler said...

You're in our prayers, everyone. We'll see you soon.

Josh Hosler

sry2 said...

I am so sorry that your trip has had such a sad ending. I have enjoyed reading your blog as you have traveled together and it has been bringing such great memories back for me.

I had the opportunity to travel to Israel with a group of young people in 1984 and reading about your trip has brought those memories back for me.

I pray that you will hold the time up until the last night in your minds and hearts and that the journey you have traveled will stay with you until you are able to return! You are all in my thoughts and prayers.